How do I obtain a Certificate of Occupancy?

Please note that the Construction Office conducts housing inspections only for complaints.  To obtain a Certificate of Occupancy for a residential resale and/or rental unit*, please contact the Fire Department. For those units with public water and/or sewer, please contact the Utility Billing office. for final meter readings and sewer inspections. (*All rental units must be duly registered with the Municipal Clerk’s Office).

The Burlington County Health Department is responsible for the administration, permitting and inspections of all wells and septic systems.  They can be contacted at 609-265-5515 or at 15 Pioneer Boulevard, Westampton, NJ  08060.

A residential smoke detector, CO Detector, and Fire Extinguisher inspection is performed in conjunction with a CCO (Certificate of Continued Occupancy) inspection. Operating smoke detectors must be installed on every level of a dwelling (basements included) and are required to be within 10′ of any sleeping areas. Original systems installed within a home at the time of construction must be maintained–interconnected systems cannot be replaced with stand alone battery operated detectors.

Homeowners are required to install a carbon monoxide detector as per manufacturer installation instructions. A minimum of one (1) must be installed in the vicinity of sleeping areas.  If bedrooms exist on more than one level, additional CO detectors are required to protect each area. Please leave instructional manuals for the next owner.

All residential dwellings must have a fire extinguisher rated for residential use.  It must be a 2A-10BC type and weigh no more than 10 pounds. It shall not be located behind doors, in cabinets or under counters and shall be properly mounted no higher than 5′ from the floor to the top of the extinguisher.  It shall be visible and readily accessible for occupant use.

Commercial property owners are advised to contact the Construction Code Official for Certificate of Occupancy requirements specific to their place of business.

Can't find what you're looking for? Create a request for service

Skip to content