ASSISTANCE FOR RESIDENTIAL UTILITY CUSTOMERS
Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
The State Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) can help you pay arrears for your water and sewer bills. The program may also be able to help address tax liens due to water and sewer arrears. To get more information and apply go to waterassistance.nj.gov or call NJ211.
Winter Termination Program
The Department of Community Affairs in the State of NJ has implemented a Winter Termination Program to prevent service discontinuation and provide aide for eligible residential customers. All residential customers in arrears can find more information on assistance including eligibility requirements at https://dcaid.dca.nj.gov/en-US/are-you-eligible/ or NJ211.
Service cannot be disconnected during the period of November 15th through March 15th for customers who demonstrate at the time of intended termination that they are:
- Recipients of LIHEAP, or certified as eligible therefore pursuant to standards set by the New Jersey Division of Human Services;
- Recipients of Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF);
- Recipients of Federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI);
- Recipients of Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD);
- Recipients of General Assistance (GA) benefits;
- Recipients of the Universal Service Fund (USF);
- Recipients of the Low-income Household Water Program (LIHWAP);
- Recipients of benefits under the Lifeline Credit Program;
- Persons unable to pay their utility bills because of circumstances beyond their control.Such circumstances shall include, but shall not be limited to, unemployment, illness, medically related expenses, recent death of an immediate family member, and any other circumstances, which might cause financial hardship.
Per the DCA: “If a customer receives electric, water or wastewater related financial assistance, the customer shall forward all benefits to their appropriate electric, water, or wastewater vendor. During the protection period, an electric, water, or wastewater vendor shall not request a security deposit or an addition to an existing security deposit from a customer who is eligible for and seeks the protection of the Winter Termination Program.”
Further information about the Winter Termination Program can be found at:
Winter Termination Program Self-Certification Form: