Update as of 1/3/20:
Crews have finished leaf collections in Zone 4, thus the Leaf Collection program has been completed in its entirety.
There will be no further leaf collections until the fall of 2020.
As a reminder, placement of leaves at the curb or along the street at any other time or in any other manner is a violation of Township Ordinance #82. Any leaves placed curbside outside of the times specified by the Township will be the responsibility of the homeowner to have removed.
Fall 2019 Leaf Collection Program
The 2019 Leaf Collection Program will begin the week of October 28th. The schedule is as follows:
ZONE 3: Weeks of October 28th and November 25th
ZONE 1: Weeks of November 4th and December 2nd
ZONE 2: Weeks of November 4th and December 2nd
ZONE 5: Weeks of November 11th and December 9th
ZONE 4: Weeks of November 18th and December 16th
Click HERE for the breakdown of streets & developments in each Zone.
Residents with leaves to dispose of outside of the annual Fall Collection program may bring them to the DPW Yard as noted above. All leaves should be removed from the curbside and disposed of by other means until official notice of the Leaf program is released by the Township. Residents who place leaves at the street for collection outside of the Township's Collection program could be cited for violation of Township Ordinance.
Leaves are the only substance that can be put into the gutter. It is very important to keep storm drains clear. Please do not cover the storm drains and keep piles about 1 foot from curbs so rain water runoff can flow freely. Also, please do not park vehicles close to piles; if a car is close to the pile, we will not risk any type of impact and the pile will be passed by.
Any leaves placed curbside outside of the times specified by the Township will be the responsibility of the homeowner to have removed. Sweeping, raking, blowing or otherwise placing leaves at the curb is only allowed seven (7) days prior to a scheduled collection.
Placement of leaves at the curb or along the street at any other time or in any other manner is a violation of Township Ordinance 82. You can also check the Home Page and Facebook page for updates as staff progress thru the Township. The administration reminds residents of the requirements for leaf collection as included in the Medford Solid Waste Ordinance (82-4D) and the NJ State Stormwater Management Regulations. Major provisions in Ordinance 82-4 are as follows:
- Leaves can be placed curbside. Any leaves placed curbside after the Township has picked-up in a Zone will be the sole responsibility of the homeowner to remove. For those residents scheduled for a later pick-up, Township officials remind you that leaves left out too soon could create a fire hazard.
- Leaves should be placed at least ten (10) feet from any storm sewer.
- Leaves must be piled away from the curb or edge of the property to allow for water runoff during storms, but not be placed any further than ten (10) feet from the edge of the roadway. Leaves should not be placed in the roadway or block travel lanes. This will help alleviate traffic and pedestrian/bike hazards.
- Leaves should not be placed around trees, signs, utility poles or other obstacles.
- Any leaves generated by professional landscapers, contractors, or anyone hired by a homeowner, must be removed by same.
In the past, the Township has encountered delays with leaf collection due to non-compliance with Township requirements, which impacts the Department’s ability to deliver prompt and efficient service. Residents that do not follow the above procedures are reminded that leaves will not be picked up. The full provisions of Ordinance 82-D can be found on the website utilizing the "Council and Manager" link to Administrative Codes.
In a continuing effort to service residents wishing to dispose of leaves, the Medford Township Garage/Yard/Dump, located at 2 Commonwealth Drive, will accept leaves daily from 7 am until 2 pm, and every third Saturday from 8 am to 1 pm; excluding holidays. Residents must provide proof of residency to gain access to the drop-off point. Absolutely no contractors will be permitted to drop off any items.
WE APPRECIATE & THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION as it helps to maintain a safe, clean and attractive community.
Residents are reminded that both Leaf & Brush collection may be hindered due to the following unforeseen circumstances. Collections will resume as problems are corrected.
- Recognized Holidays
- Manpower Availability
- Adverse Weather Conditions
- Other Emergency Operations or Problems